I have been a coconut maniac since I was young. I love everything: coconut milk, coconut oil, young coconut water, shredded coconut and coconut flakes. The rich creamy aroma always reminds me of the beach in summer.
Coconut oil has only recently become a new trend in the market, so it’s not widely available yet and I have to either go to an expensive supermarket dealing in imported goods or order from the Internet. It is very heat-stable which makes it suitable for cooking at high temperatures, even deep-frying. This also makes it resistant to rancidity and keeps longer. I think there is a misconception that coconut oil is not good for the heart due to the large quantity of saturated fats. However, coconut oil contains about 50% lauric acid which helps in preventing various heart problems, including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure, and the saturated fats in coconut oil are not harmful as it does not lead to increase in LDL levels (bad cholesterol level).
Another good thing to know is that coconut oil contains lesser calories than other oils, its fat content is easily converted into energy so it is actually favored by many athletes and body-builders. Now that you know how good it is, I hope you enjoy these cupcakes! ;-)
Health Index: ⅘ (4 to 5 times a week)
Kitchen Gadgets: Oven
⅓ cup extra virgin coconut oil
½ cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup organic soymilk
½ vanilla extract
1 tbsp lime zest
1 cup wholewheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
1 cup coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F) and prepare the cupcake liners.
2. In a big bowl, mix the coconut oil with sugar with whisk vigorously then add the coconut milk and soymilk and mix well, then add vanilla extract.
3. In another big bowl, sift the wholewheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt, then add the coconut flakes and mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients, mix lightly with the whisk but never beat it. The batter will be very thin and looks like gravy.
5. Scoop ¼ or ⅓ cup batter per cupcake into the liners, bake for 25 mins.