Both Honey and I are fans of falafel. Sometimes I am too tired to prepare his bento, Honey would always say: “don’t worry, there is always falafel.” Those crunchy little balls made of chickpeas as street food or fast food are extremely popular in Sweden. The good news is that they are naturally vegan, the bad news is that they’re usually deep-fried, which makes it tasty but not particularly healthy.
As the spring is coming, Honey made his promise to get rid of the bundle he saved around the waist during the winter, I would like to help him eat a bit healthier, such as making those raw food falafel balls as bento items. Not to mention, judging from the size, they make perfect snack too. When you have time, make a batch and put them in your fridge so you can enjoy them throughout the week. Although I doubt you would make it last a week heehee, as they’re just irresistible as the original!
Health Index : 5/5 (everyday food, highly recommended)
Kitchen Gadgets: Food processor
Makes 27 balls (1 tbsp per ball)
1 cup sun flower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup walnuts
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
6 pieces of sun dried tomato soaked in oil ( one piece is about half size of one tomato, if you use the dry one then soak them in the water for a while so they’re ready to use)
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Blend sun flower seeds and pumpkin seeds in the food processor until they become fine crumbles.
2. Roughly chop the walnuts.
3. Finely chop parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and crush the garlic.
4. Add all the ingredients together and mix with your hand or spatula. If it sounds a bit messy you can always wear a pair of plastic kitchen gloves.
5. The “dough” is not super sticky but it’s enough to form a small dough when squeezed. Scoop 1 tbsp “dough” and squeeze with one hand until it’s well pressed. Use your fingers to carefully shape it into a round ball. It’s very delicate, so don’t roll them between your palms. Proceed until you finish all the remaining “dough”. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy!