Before I went 100% vegan from vegetarian, I ate eggs occassionally. Scrambled eggs is a simple dish that I used to make. My favorite version was scrambled eggs with tomatoes, I never got tired of eating that. I stopped eating eggs after I learnt that they contained too much cholestrol, which is harmful for our bodies. Another important reason is that I don’t want to contribute to the suffering of laying hens. People ask me, hens are not killed for laying eggs, what’s wrong with it? Well the problem is, they will be killed eventually as long as they’re forced to work for human beings. And before they’re killed many of them are painfully debeaked, crammed into dark and crowded cages and, perhaps, never see a beam of sunshine before they are dragged out to be killed. As long as I eat eggs, I am a part of the cycle, and I don’t feel comfortable about that.
Luckily, I don’t miss the egg dishes I used to enjoy. I just found other ways to cook food. For instance, instead of the scrambled eggs, I eat scrambled tofu. Full of protein and equally tasty, with a bit tumeric to color it yellow so it is visually appealing (or should I say nostalgic ;) ) this dish is definitely worth trying for your Sunday breakfast, or brunch.
Health Index: ⅘ (4 to 5 days a week)
Kitchen Gadgets: Frying Pan
¼ red onion
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
4 shiitake mushrooms
4 stalks of baby spinach
400g firm tofu
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp tumeric powder
1 tsp coriander seed powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Shred the onion, the peppers, and mushrooms. Chop the spinach into thirds.
2. Use a potato masher to mash the tofu, making it into a bread crumb-like texture.
3. Heat a stainless steel pan on a high heat for 1 minute, turn down to a medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil, then add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add the crumbled tofu, continue to sauté for 5 minutes, while sautéing, add all the spices and mix well.
6. In the last 30 seconds, add the chopped spinach, you just need to cook it until the leaves wither, don’t cook it for a long time.
7. Turn off the heat, add salt and black pepper, serve!